U.S. Has Spent $40 Million to Jail About 400 Migrants at Guantánamo
The disclosure of the tab so far came after a visit by five senators to the offshore operation, who condemned it as a waste of resources.
It Is Happening Every Day, Every Where
The disclosure of the tab so far came after a visit by five senators to the offshore operation, who condemned it as a waste of resources.
Officials have said most of the people sent to the U.S. base are members of a Venezuelan gang but have not offered evidence to support that claim.
A federal judge expressed doubts toward those challenging the federal policy, a potentially favorable sign for President Trump as he seeks to clamp down on immigration.
A court filing described strip searches and the use of restraint chairs on some of the 290 migrants the Trump administration has cycled through the base.
The Saudi prisoner agreed to the settlement to avoid a death-penalty trial, his lawyer said, but it has yet to reach the defense secretary.
President Trump said the base would house as many as 30,000 migrants awaiting deportation. But construction of a tent city was halted weeks ago.
The new case, which for now is asking for a court to block the transfer of 10 men to the offshore base, is the first to directly challenge the policy.
The new Pentagon chief got a look at Guantánamo Bay’s most infamous inmate in his recent visit to the wartime prison.
Mr. Hegseth served at the U.S. Navy base as a National Guard lieutenant. The base is now being used to hold some migrants who face deportation.
The base had been cleared of migrants since Thursday, after the government sent 177 to Venezuela and one back to the United States.