Pete Hegseth, Trump’s Defense Secretary, to Visit Guantánamo Bay
Mr. Hegseth served at the U.S. Navy base as a National Guard lieutenant. The base is now being used to hold some migrants who face deportation.
It Is Happening Every Day, Every Where
Mr. Hegseth served at the U.S. Navy base as a National Guard lieutenant. The base is now being used to hold some migrants who face deportation.
The base had been cleared of migrants since Thursday, after the government sent 177 to Venezuela and one back to the United States.
The move would be a drastic escalation by the White House to militarize immigration enforcement.
The Trump administration has said little about the Venezuelan men who were transferred from Texas to the U.S. military base in Cuba.
Days after the United States sent 300 migrants from Asia and the Middle East to Panama, a Panamanian official said that more than half had agreed to be deported to their countries of origin.
The administration has asked Panama to take in hundreds of people who can’t easily be sent back to their countries. Many say they are in danger.
The Department of Defense said this week that it would provide planes for deportation flights.
More is coming, but many directives will take time to be implemented or will face political, legal or practical obstacles.
The president-elect’s immigration advisers have warned Republicans that it will take time and money from Congress to carry out the mass deportation effort he has promised to execute immediately.
The size of the planned operation is unclear, but it would be the opening step in the president-elect’s goal of overseeing the largest deportation program in history.